I design and handmake customised, one-off headpieces and designer headwear from my boutique millinery studio on Queensland’s beautiful Sunshine Coast.
My obsession with style started at the tender age of five when I first began making my own dresses it may not have been catwalk quality but, hey, I was 5 and it looked great to me ! It was to be the start of a lifelong love of dressing up and expressing myself through fashion. In 2009, after a long career in dressmaking and fashion retail, (and inspired by the fact I could never find a hat small enough to fit me!) I decided to turn my hand to millinery. I’ve always been fascinated by the way in which a headpiece can completely transform an outfit and lift the mood of the woman wearing it. Whether it’s a hat, a fascinator or a crown, I like to think of every piece as wearable art. My designs are made to be noticed – that’s why I always tell clients to wear it like you mean it, with a spring in your step and a cheeky smile!
I learned my craft studying under some of Australia’s finest milliners, who taught me the importance of sleek lines and how to achieve that perfect fit. I find inspiration everywhere and my ready-to-wear range takes its cue from the elegant, vintage designs of bygone eras. What I’m most inspired by, however, are passionate clients who have a vision of how they want to look and allow me the artistic freedom to bring that vision to life. From colourful and flamboyant race day hats to subtle and sophisticated cocktail party headpieces, I love collaborating with a client to create a customised piece of headwear that perfectly reflects her own personal style.
Just recently in 2018 HATalk Hat Making Competition I was challenged to create an original hat or headpiece using the concept of Fusion as the starting point of the design. My design “Cosmic Concertina” won the Global award in 2018 Overall HATalk in London from over 177 entries. Also not resting on my laurels I competed in the 2018 Great Hat Exhibition with my inspired design “Kakadu Lily” which was chosen in the Top 30 from 250 entries. Most reecntly I was finalist in the Top 10 for 2018 & 2017 MAA Design Awards and finalist in 2017 Melbourne International Millinery Competition.
Over the course of my career I’ve won countless Fashions on the Field and Millinery Awards for my designs. I was also one of just eight international milliners invited to exhibit at the Burjurman Centre for the Dubai World Cup.
My designer headwear is regularly featured in international millinery bible The Hat Magazine and my creations have walked the runways at Melbourne Spring Fashion Week for the last six years in a row.
- Collaborated with Karen Millen Australia for 2017 Spring Designs.
- Queensland Representative for the Millinery Association of Australia Inc 2017 2018
- Collaborated with fashion label Tulipani for Mercedes Benz Fashion Festival
- Personal invitation to attend a reception at Government House Victoria with The Honorable Linda Dessau AM Governor of Victoria & Judge Anthony Howard on the eve of Melbourne Cup
- My hats have crossed the globe from Royal Ascot to Flemington
- A regular participant at the International Millinery Forums to expand my personal & professional development
- After trekking from Queensland to Melbourne for Melbourne Spring Fashion Week for several years, Hats by Sandy A has won the People’s Choice Award for Hats off to MSFW several times.
- During the years of collaboration between the MAA, Collins Street Precinct & Hats off to MSFW, I won the ”Judges Choice Award” on several occasions for my excellent display of millinery during Fashion Week in The Block Arcade
As the Queensland representative for 2017 & 2018 and previous vice president of the Millinery Association of Australia, I’m at the forefront of the latest techniques and design trends and use my studio as a teaching space for up-and-coming milliners to learn their craft.
Also a member of The Hat Academy.
Contact Sandy NOW and start making headlines…